The Village of Hillman is located within Montmorency County, along highway M-32 in Michigan's northeast Lower Peninsula. The beautiful Thunder Bay River flows through the village and is a distinct community asset. The city of Alpena is approximately 20 miles east of Hillman and the city of Gaylord is approximately 70 miles to the west.
From a global perspective, Hillman is located along the 45th Parallel, which is halfway between the Equator and the North Pole. This prime location helps make the area a perfect four season paradise with warm sunny summers, snowy winters, blooming springs and fall colors that are second to none.
Visit, Live, Work, Play
A common topic associated with communities seeking tourism, talent and economic development revolves around matters pertaining to quality of life. Whether it's rural outdoor adventures or big city amenities, the following is just a brief snapshot of some the remarkable assets available within the Hillman, Michigan area.
- A small, friendly village where many folks know their neighbors by their first name
- Fast "Fiber" internet service that is well suited to handle residential, industrial and commercial needs
- Abundant outdoor recreational opportunities with bountiful public forests filled with a myriad of wildlife, including the largest Elk herd east of the Mississippi River
- Numerous inland lakes, rivers and creeks that are perfect for fishing, swimming, kayaking or just listening to the soothing calm of the rapids. If that weren't enough, take a short drive to Lake Huron and enjoy one of the world's fresh water wonders
- Brush Creek Mill, a historically significant local gathering place, is a perfect venue for crafty artisans, small gatherings and classes on various topics
- An exceptional full-service 18 hole championship golf course and RV Resort that offers gourmet dining, elk viewing, carriage / sleigh rides, wine tasting and other memorable experiences that are sure to last a lifetime
- Take a short drive outside the village, look up and enjoy all the wonder that comes with an unimpeded view of the Dark Sky.
- A short drive to Alpena Regional Airport (APN) provides commercial passenger service to Detroit (DTW) which maintains connections to non-stop destinations around the world
- Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center. A world class military training center where the protectors of democracy hone their skills to ensure America remains the most elite military fighting force in the world.
- Quality healthcare facilities are available at the Hillman Health Center and MidMichigan Medical Center in Alpena
- Well maintained utilities infrastructure providing natural gas, electricity, drinking water and waste water services (Contact the Village of Hillman for service maps)
- A wide variety of nationally accredited educational opportunities abound at nearby Alpena Community College
- Affordable - Small town charm near big city amenities that's surrounded by abundant natural resources at a fraction of the cost found in many parts of the country
- Hillman Community Radio is a local radio station operating as WHXR at 103.5 on the FM dial. An informative media outlet providing local residents with great music and information pertinent to village residents and businesses.
Contact us today to learn more about living, visiting and prospering in the Hillman, Michigan area.
You may ask, why come to Hillman? One reason to visit or move here is all the assets e have available in this one location.
Snowmobile / ORV Trails
Dark Skies Star-watching
Music in the Park
Tiger Paw Park & Summer Activities
Brush Creek Mill
Easter Egg Hunt - (April)
Mill River Days - (May)
Blessing of the Bikes & ATV's - (May)
5K Run / Fly IN / Taste of Hillman - ()
VJ Days - (August)
Buck Pole - (November)
Circus (every 2 years) - (December)
BUSINESSES OFFERING SERVICES
High Speed (100 MBPS) Fiber Internet
Hillman Self Storage
Medilodge (Assisted care facility)
Radio Station (Hillman Community Radio)
Thunder Bay Health Center
Next Phase Enterprise
Patchwood Products Inc.
Elk County Sno-Travelers
Hillman Area Chamber of Commerce
Wheels Car Club